Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Nelson Mandela -Blog #11

      Only three weeks left till this semester is over. Loose ends are being tied up really fast, which I can't complain. I'm one step closer goal. I went to the Men's Panel today, it was very interesting; it was an experience to say the least. I wasn't expecting to laugh, but I did. All the men who were there had really good personalities and were very open and honest to the questions they were asked. Granted I didn't ask any questions, I mainly was taking it all in. I honestly wish I would have been able to take the time off from work to attend the Women's Panel.

                                                           Did You Know??                                                                        

     In 2005 Nelson Mandela's oldest son died from AIDS (HIV disease). His son was 54. After his son passed, he urged other families who suffer from AIDS (HIV disease) to speak out and educate others about this disease. I was shocked when I read this because during Mandela's presidency, he barely spoke about AIDS (HIV disease). He acted like it wasn't an issue. I think his son dying was a real eye opener for him because it personally affected him; he could not ignore his son's death. When certain situations hit you personally, you tend to have a change of heart. Mandlea tries to educate South Africans about AIDS (HIV disease) and really encourages HIV testing. (Timberg, 2005)


Source: Timberg, C. (2005, January 7). Mandela says aids led to death of son. Retrieved  April 3, 2011 from http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles             /A52781-2005Jan6.html.




 
I also found this video that goes along with the article. 

2 comments:

  1. Your blogs are getting shorter and shorter as we near the end of the semester. Your DYK has been very informative, but I've not learn much about your growth in this class.

    I enjoyed this DYK. It is a shame he waited so long to speak up. So many lives could have been saved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a shame that it took him so long to speak up. I think this will be his one regret as leader of Post Apartheid S. Africa. I thoroughly enjoyed the men's panel and just being able to interact with HIV+ people in a setting where people aren't so irrational.

    Haymanot birra

    ReplyDelete