Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Say What??- Blog #12


Another week down! I’m stoked. It’s time for a little break. On that note, my truck won’t start. I think it’s just the battery, I hope so anyway. I had a personal learning experience during Module 8. I had the pleasure (and yes I say pleasure with sarcasm) of dealing with the stigma of being HIV positive from my own aunt. On the first day we had to carry the egg around I ran into my aunt at the store and she saw the egg. And before I could get a word out she said (excuse the language), “What the hell is that?” and took a step back. My own aunt who I saw the week before that would not come near me. I explained to her that it was for a class assignment for this course and she gave me a funny look and said “Why are you wasting your time with learning about HIV, when all you need to know is to keep your legs closed and you won’t catch it.”   This shocked me. And keep in mind that the entire time we were talking; she still wouldn’t come near me.
Long story short, this made me think about myself and what I thought before I took this class. And before I started this class, I always associated HIV with people sleeping around and that was it. I will admit that I was ignorant. I didn’t know a lot about HIV disease hence why I decided it would be a good idea to take this class, to educate myself and help pass that along to others. I can honestly say that I was wrong in thinking that everyone who contracted HIV was sleeping around with lot of people. The truth is, it only takes one time, one choice, one mistake and you have it. That is something that I will always keep in the back of my mind. I have realized that I also thought ignorantly when it came to this disease.
Did You Know??
This is huge!! There were two kidney transplants from one HIV positive donor. The transplants was successful. It was the first transplant ever involving two HIV positive people.  The transplants took place in Cape Town. There was a single donor who was HIV positive and two men received the kidneys. The operations were not made public until the surgeons were confident that the transplants were successful! (Beresford, 2008)
According to Doctor Elmi Muller, the surgeon who did the transplants, "HIV patients are at a disadvantage when it comes to getting an organ and dialysis. Even when we try to be fair, they are at a disadvantage competing with people with no chronic illness," she said. "This study opens up an opportunity to help them, even gives them a slight advantage, because of the high number of HIV-positive donors." (Beresford, 2008) This is a great step forward.
Source: Beresford, B. (2008, October 25). South africa pioneers hiv-positive transplants. Retrieved April 11, 2011 from http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/oct/25/aids-south-africa-hiv-barnard.

 I found this video. I think it sums it all up and puts it in perspective.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That was some hello. I hope once this semester is over you will sit down with your aunt and tell her all that you have learned. You may find out that she bought into the stereotypes of who gets HIV. My daughter would be very offended if someone thought she slept around to become HIV positive. The sad part is that there will be some people who will believe it even when it isn't true. It is up to educated persons like yourself to pass on the information to others.

    Best of luck with your future, wherever it may lead you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is  my testimony on how I was cured of HIV by Dr Akhigbe,with his natural herbal medicine.  on a regular basis in efforts to help others when I could. As you may know, each donation is tested.  Well, on July 6th I had a meeting with a Red Cross representative and was told that I had HIV. “What went through your mind when you heard that "Rose" Good question reader! To be honest, I thought my life was over, that I would ever find love, get married, have children or anything normal. Lucky for me I have an amazing support system.  My family supported me then I never thought that I was invincible to STD s or pregnancy or anything else parents warn their kids about. I just didn’t think about it. I was in a monogamous relationship and thought that I asked the right questions.  We even talked about marriage Scary.  During that time I was in college and donated blood on a re as well. who helped me in search of cure through the media.there we saw a good testimony of sister 'Kate' about the good work of Dr Akhigbe natural herbal medicine cure.then I copied his email address and contacted him. A good herbalist doctor with a good heart, he is kind, loving and caring. He replied back to my message and told me what to do. After a week the doctor sent me my herbal medicine and instructed me how to take it.Yes it worked very well, after drinking it I went to the hospital for another test and everything turned negative. What a wonderful testimony I can never forget in my life. Dr Akhigbe is a man who gave me a life to live happily forever so all I want you all to believe and know that cure of HIV is real and herbs is a powerful medicine and it works and heals.  Dr Akhigbe also used his herbal medicine to cure diseases like:   HERPES, DIABETES, SCABIES, HEPATITIS A/B, STROKE, CANCER, ALS, TUBERCULOSIS, ASTHMA, PENIS ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, LUPUS, LIVER CIRRHOSIS, DEPRESSION, HIV/AIDS, EPILEPSY, BACTERIAL, DIARRHEA, HEART DISEASES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER, COLD URTICARIA, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS,INSOMNIA,  BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN, CHROME DISEASES, CHLAMYDIA, INSOMNIA HEARTBURN, ,  THYROID, MAR BURG DISEASES, MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, BODY WEAK, ANTI VIRUS, SMALLPOX, DENGUE, FEVER, CURBS, CHANCRE, AND OTHERS VARIOUS DISEASES/ VIRUS.   You are there and you find yourself in any of these situations, kindly contact Dr Akhigbe now to help you get rid of it. Here is his email address:
       drrealakhigbe@gmail.com      or you can write to him on whats app with his phone number:   +234 901 075 4824.
      My appreciation is to share his testimony for the world to know the good work Dr Akhigbe has done for me and he will do the same for you.
       

    ReplyDelete