Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Blog #2- Getting things in order.


                The second week has been a little more relaxed since I’m starting to get use to this online thing. This class is a lot of work, but I don’t mind. I’m learning and I don’t feel lost. Our first assignment, Thrush, was fun.  I got to experiment and get a general idea of what thrush was and what it somewhat feels like. I love projects like that because I feel you learn more that way; instead of just sitting in front of a computer researching it and just putting down facts because that’s what the internet says.  It’s the experiences that truly help you learn the most. Apart from class everything else is starting to come together. I may become an assistant manger at my second job! I hope it goes through, that would be awesome. 
 
                This class is definitely a challenge in my opinion. There is so much to learn and a lot of writing, which doesn’t bother me, I figuring out that it is going to help me out in the future with other assignments. This class has already shown me that I need to mange my time better, which I am working on. My posts will get better as I move forward. It’s time to get things in order. 

Did You Know?
                According to the UNAIDS, the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, there is approximately 5.7 million people in South Africa with the HIV disease. Close to 3.2 million of those people are women and roughly 280,000 are children under the age of 14. I knew the numbers were high, but I honestly didn’t think they were that high. I was honestly shocked at first. As I read more on the UNAIDS, I found out that they have different programs to try and help the people suffering from this disease and to prevent others from getting it. It’s a step in the right direction. 

                The different programs range from prevention to educating people about the disease to giving out free condoms. In fact, according to UNAIDS, they hand out 400 million condoms each year. South Africa is also has the world’s biggest AIDS treatment program. I think that is great. They are really trying to control the issue and help the people suffering from HIV and AIDS. Their goals are to mange, treat, support as well as care for people with HIV and AIDS.   

               I found this video; I think it is interesting. 

Source: Counrty situation . (2008, July). Retrieved January 20, 2011 from www.unaids.org/en/Regionscountries/Countries/SouthAfrica.

2 comments:

  1. I was also pretty impressed by the first assignment. I was not expecting to have an interactive part for an online course. I am beginning to get the hang of it as well, and even though it is a lot of work, I think it is very manageable.

    I really liked your "Did You Know" section. I am very interested with HIV/AIDS in developing countries, and those statistics were very startling. It is crazy that there are 5.7 million people with HIV, just in South Africa. It is also interesting to note that it is more common in women, I am guessing that may be a result of prostitution. I feel that the worst of it is that the over 280,000 children have the disease. They did nothing but inherit it. Not to mention, all the children that do not have the disease but are affected by it because their parents have it. It is a horrible situation.

    It is nice to see that there is some hope. I am glad that the South African government is trying to combat it through their AIDS treatment program. I am also interested to see how the HIV vaccines works that was mentioned in the video.

    -Spencer Kerce

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not the HIV disease, it is simply HIV disease.

    My understanding is the vaccine failed. However, we know here in the US that women given ARVs, who take them without fail can reduce their chance of passing on the virus to their developing fetus to zero. Our own HugMe program has had only one transmission in the last year because the mother failed to keep up with her drug regiment. Before that they went almost 10 years without an HIV positive child being born.

    It is just a question of getting ARVs to women who are pregnant.

    ReplyDelete